Lawrence County is older than the state of Alabama. Located in the northwestern section of the State, Lawrence County is bounded on the North by the Tennessee River that separates it from Lauderdale and Limestone Counties and on the East by Morgan County. The county is also bounded on the South by Winston County and the West by Franklin and Colbert Counties. It was created by the Alabama Territorial Legislature on February 4, 1818, from lands acquired by the Chickasaw and Cherokee Cessions of 1816 and named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, Naval hero of the War of 1812. Moulton was selected as the County seat in 1820; the County business prior to that date having been transacted at Marathon. The county has a population of approximately 33,000. The county includes 696 square miles within its borders. Lawrence County was the home of General Phillip Rhoddy, Confederate Cavalry commander General Joseph Wheeler, Governor David P. Lewis and J. M. Peters, State Supreme Court Judge.
The city of Moulton was incorporated December 17, 1819, and named for Lt. Michael Moulton who died fighting under General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. The town proper encompasses about eight square miles and has a population of approximately 4,500. The people of Moulton have exemplified their founders courageous spirit through the years to bring about steady growth and development, build better schools and churches, and produce dedicated, loyal citizens.
The character of a southern towns heritage is captured in the historic district of Courtland, Alabama. Just a short jaunt off a major highway, Courtland offers a trip through the history of a nineteenth century town. Reflecting the towns beginning as a local trade center rooted in the surrounding plantation economy are more than 100 homes, buildings and sites dating from c. 1820 to c. 1938.
Courtland was named to the National Register of Historic Places for its 1818 development of the early town plan built with unusually large concentration of significant buildings. Built on a site that was formerly an Indian village on Big Nance Creek, Courtlands location was chosen by planters from Virginia and the Carolinas who saw great potential in the fertile cotton land combined with market access to New Orleans by way of the Tennessee River.
Even in the initial design, the developers of Courtland planned for their towns future and included a main square for the county courthouse had Courtland become the county seat.
In September 14, 1818, Charles Matthews bought 232 acres of land, which is the city of Town Creek today. Jonesboro, Town Creeks first name, came from the name of a Lawrence County man named William Jones. In 1854, when a post office was established, the post office was called the Town Creek post office because there was already a post office named Jonesboro in Jefferson County. In March 1875, Town Creek was incorporated by the State of Alabama.
Joe Wheeler Plantation
Network, Inc. &
Copyright © 1998 Town Square Publications
This Site is a Town Square Publications Production