contentsCoarl Springs FL Chamberads

History

Between 1911 and 1939, Henry “Bud” Lyons bought most of the land that became Coral Springs. He created the largest green bean farm in the country and shipped vegetables to the north and west. After he died in 1952, his widow used the property to graze cattle.

At the same time, James S. Hunt, president of Coral Ridge Properties, was developing the Galt Ocean Mile and Coral Ridge section of Fort Lauderdale. He was looking to build another city, but by the end of the decade, land was quickly disappearing in Broward County. When he found the Lyons’ property, he persuaded Mrs. Lyons to sell it to him. His singular vision was to transform cow pastures into one of the best places to live in America. Coral Springs was chartered on July 10, 1963.

Hunt had a vision of an ideal city, free of neon signs, billboards, obnoxious house colors and clotheslines. He wanted to present a gracious landscape, beginning with a covered bridge and colonial-style brick buildings. He also planned parks for every section of the city and boulevards planted with flowers. When Westinghouse bought Coral Ridge Properties in 1966, it used the city as its “urban laboratory,” testing the newest appliances, building materials and even an electric car.

The city of close to 130,000 residents is now focusing on renovation and redevelopment, starting with the revitalization of the downtown area. One Charter Place is finished, marking the completion of the first phase. Coral Springs continues to strive to be the nation’s premier community in which to live, work and raise a family.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications