Enter name or type of business
Enter city & state, or ZIP
contentsmidlothianads

History

The year 2007 marks the 80th anniversary of the incorporated Village of Midlothian. Once, this area was a mere milk stop along the Rock Island Railroad serving local farmers. But by 1927 there were so many people living here that leaders decided to formally organize the community and incorporated it. Taking its name from the golf club around which the community had grown and prospered, this area became the Village of Midlothian.

History

The Midlothian Country Club was named after an ancient borough in Scotland. In 1900, a group of wealthy Chicago industrialists discovered the green hills and fairways of the golf course.

Inspired by the country club, the Rock Island Railroad built a spur track that allowed the golfers to quickly commute from Chicago to the “country.” A large yellow frame depot was built, complete with a potbelly stove and the only telephone in town. People picked up their mail here. Children searched for pennies that might have fallen onto the platform. Even square dancing was held here. The railroad station became a hub of activity.

By 1915, land developers who saw opportunity began purchasing land from farmers and subdivided the farms into tracts of land for housing developments. Soon the first general store opened, then a school, and then more businesses. At the time of the incorporation of the village, the business district consisted of five or six stores, two garages, one barbershop, one restaurant, and one coal yard.

Once incorporated on March 17, 1927, the people soon elected their first president, John H. Hamilton. The village continued to grow throughout the ‘30s and ‘40s. New homes were being built as well as new businesses, including the Kreis Brothers Ford Garage and the Cavallini family Sweet Shop.

In 1949, Midlothian’s present Village Hall was built at 148th Street and Pulaski Avenue. For the first time the services of the fire, police, water/sewer and administration were combined under one roof. The facility has since been expanded and renovated.

As more people have moved into the area, new schools have been built and recreational facilities added. The new businesses who arrive work together with the long-established merchants in serving the community.

While there has been growth and change, the people strive to maintain their hometown atmosphere. And as always, Midlothian looks ahead to the future.

Posen has the distinction of being the only city in America that can claim the honor of being settled exclusively with people of one nationality. In 1887, a small group of Polish people arrived here from their native village of Poznan. When the area incorporated in 1900, the village became known as Posen.

Bremen Township School at 139th and Cleveland was built between 1870-1880.

The St. Stanislaus Church was erected in 1893 and in 1921, the Posen-Harding School District was established.

The 1950s was a period of expansion. More people of different ethnic origin settled here creating a more cosmopolitan feel. As more land was annexed, more homes and churches were built. Industry grew and at one time there were more than 50 factories here. Posen’s motto was “no man need be out of work.”

Throughout the years Posen has continued working diligently at becoming and remaining a community of peace, pride, and progress.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications
south suburban
Bill Kay
sunrise