contentsSugar Grove IL Chamberads

History

History

Sin-Oua-Sip (the Native American name for Sugar Grove) was originally home to Native Americans in 1818 when Illinois was admitted into the Union. Settlers arrived in the spring of 1834 at what is now known as Bliss Woods Forest Preserve. The town grew and square-mile lots were surveyed in 1842. Aspiring farmers, eager to cultivate the rich Midwest soil, bought the lots for $1.25 an acre at a Chicago auction. Farming ultimately became the first real business in the township. The Village of Sugar Grove was incorporated in 1957.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications