contentsWinnebao County IL Regional Planning & EDCads

Pecatonica

sunset

Pecatonica is an active Midwestern town of 2,000 residents located at the “top” of Illinois about halfway between Chicago and Galena. The name Pecatonica can be traced to the Indian word “Peeketolika” meaning “crooked river.” Settlers first arrived in Pecatonica in 1835. The first settlement included a small stone tavern, which was the halfway point on the Chicago-to-Galena stagecoach trail from 1842 to 1914. On July 1, 1845, President James K. Polk deeded 56.56 acres of “Indian territory,” (now downtown Pecatonica) to Dan Reed, who laid out “Peckatonick.”

The business district, just north of U.S. 20 (Galena Trail) features shops in a “turn of the century” Main Street setting. Nearby Sumner Park, located along the Pecatonica River, has ball fields, tennis courts, horseshoe pits, playgrounds, a warming house for snowmobilers and is a common meeting point for the “Pecatonica Prairie Bike Path.” Sumner Park connects with the Pecatonica Wetlands Forest Preserve to the west and across the river to the north. The wetlands (1,047 acres along the Pecatonica River) welcomes many visitors annually to enjoy spring flora, birdlife, hiking/equestrian trails, picnic areas and wildlife areas. It is a favored fishing spot along the River. The “PEC THING” takes place at the Winnebago County Fairgrounds the third weekend in May and September. It is one of the “hottest” junktique markets in the area.

Contact Info: www.villageofpecatonica.com
Village of Pecatonica,
P.O. Box 730,
Pecatonica, IL 61063

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications