contentsAtlantic IA Chamberads

Lewis

The city of Lewis is located near the Nishnabotna River Valley. The city possesses a rich historical background. Known as the cradle of Cass County history, the city served as the first county seat.

The Reverend George B. Hitchcock House, an 1856 structure that served as a station on the Underground Railroad prior to the Civil War and a National Historic Landmark is located west of Lewis. The Hitchcock House was instrumental in hiding fugitive slaves during a dangerous journey to freedom in Canada. For more information, visit www.hitchcockhouse.org.

You’ll also find the Nishnabotna Ferry House, the only remaining structure on the Mormon Trail in Iowa. Located on a main east to west road of yesteryear, the house witnessed many settlers move west beginning with the 1846 Mormon Trek.

There are several parks in the city and area that provide outdoor activities. Cold Springs State Park provides fishing, camping facilities, hiking and swimming. There are two city parks in town with picnic shelters and playground equipment. The west end park has a 1911 gazebo. The Hitchcock Recreation Area has a 1.7 mile trail and hunting areas.

The newest attraction for visitors is a huge 32-foot long by 18-foot high bicycle built by a local firm, Weirich Welding Plus Tire & Repair.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications