in Historic Downtown Breaux Bridge
The Bridge of 1799
The first bridge to span Bayou Teche in what is now Breaux Bridge, was
a footbridge built by Firmin Breaux.
The Bridge of 1817
This was the first vehicular bridge in Breaux Bridge, and was built by
Agricole Breaux – the son of Firmin Breaux.
The Bridge of 1845
A simple modification of the Bridge of 1817 resulted in the drawbridge
of 1845. Oxen or mule teams were used to lift the center portion of the
bridge to allow passage of boats.
The Bridge of 1855
Located in Parc des Ponts de Pont Breaux, the bridge that spanned Bayou
Teche from 1855 to 1891 was a turntable bridge. The original was burnt
by Confederate troops in 1863 to prevent the passage of Union troops.
This bridge now serves as an outdoor cultural events stage and as a fishing
The Bridge of 1950
The bridge of 1950 is a steel bridge with a vertical lift span and concrete
approaches. In honor of Breaux Bridge’s renowned status as the “Crawfish
Capital of the World,” colorful crawfish were added to the overhead
structures of the bridge.