Covington (local population: 8,702)* Tall, moss-draped oaks offer shade to the sidewalk cafes and the sun’s afternoon rays bounce across the Bogue Falaya River. This is Covington, St. Tammany Parish’s governmental seat. Founded in 1813, Covington is steeped in history. At the convergence of three rivers, Covington became known as the official port of St. Tammany in the late 1800s. The city’s well-defined historic central business district is comprised of 28 squares with central ‘ox lot’ public off-street parking. Fine art galleries, antique shops and boutiques give downtown Covington its signature shopping style.
* Total St. Tammany population outside these cities’ corporate limits is approximately 178,736 including the city of Slidell.