John W. Paine built the imposing home as well as a brick store the same year. After Paines death, the house passed through two owners before Dr. Samuel E. Gilliam bought it in 1883. The good doctor restored the home in the Victorian style.
It was in his office, north of the dwelling, where Gilliam performed the first abdominal surgery in Clinton County. Dr. Walter A. Scott joined Gilliam and practiced in the building until his death. In the 1960s, the house was divided into offices. In 1978 the Clinton County Historical Society obtained permission to operate the house as a museum, and it has been a point of cultural interest ever since.
The museum depicts furnishings including an 1870s doctors office. Clothes, guns and war-related items pertaining to county history enhance the display. There are special exhibits throughout the year, culminating with Victorian Christmas decorations.
The Briggs Public Library is located in a state-of-the-art
building. It is spacious, modern and comfortable. Best of all, it provides
all library amenities from computers to books to videos to periodicals.
The community may make use of a local history room, quiet study and meeting
room. Both adults and children may sign up for programs sponsored by the
library as well.
Community Profile Network, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 Community Profile
This Site is a Cyberworks Media Group Production