contentsLake Saint Louis, Dardenne Prairie MO Area Chamberads

History

Present-day Lake Saint Louis, incorporated in 1975, can trace its history to some 3,000 acres of land dotted with a few farms located west of the Missouri River in St. Charles County. Started in 1966, the main dam was completed in 1969. The Lake Saint Louis/ Dardenne Prairie Area now boasts a vacation lifestyle in a city built around two recreational lakes – the community’s most prized possessions.

The area surrounding Lake Saint Louis/Dardenne Prairie Area is steeped in history. Early inhabitants of Missouri were mound builders followed by the Osage and Missouri Indians, and the Fox and Sac Indian tribes who settled in the areas surrounding Lake Saint Louis/Dardenne Prairie Area. Spanish and French influence can be seen in many areas of St. Charles County. The 845-acre Daniel Boone farm and historic Boone home were originally a grant from the Spanish government and are located in Defiance, Missouri, only a few miles from Lake Saint Louis/Dardenne Prairie Area. A short drive to the west, and you’ll find Missouri’s historic wine district and minutes to the east is the city of St. Charles on the Missouri River, and the starting point for the Lewis and Clark expedition.

In 1956, Congress enacted the Federal Aid Highway Act. The result was the beginning of a 41,000-mile Interstate Highway System with construction starting in Missouri. This first stretch of highway borders Lake Saint Louis/Dardenne Prairie areas to the north and has become an easy and swift access route serving a wide area of Missouri and directly connecting the Lake Saint Louis/Dardenne Prairie Area to downtown St. Louis.

The Earliest Records
by Gladys Griesenauer

The Dardenne Prairie area of St. Charles District, later St. Charles County, was a well-established prairie farming community when the Catholic Church had its beginnings. Some Spanish Land Grants are dated as early as 1799, many in the early 1800s. It was an area that was easily accessible, bordered on the north by the Peruque Creek (Barok in German), and the Dardenne River, later Dardenne Creek, on the south; passing almost directly through the middle was The Big Road, later The Booneslick Road, which is now Highway N. Legend tells us that Daniel Boone began this trail, but many believe it was an early animal or Indian trail, over which Boone traveled.

In 1808, Mr. William Clark passed through this area on his way West to establish Fort Osage. Many natural springs flowed along the rocky ridges and hillsides of the small streams and branches leading to Dardenne Creek, providing water for survival. Also, mills for grinding grain dotted the shores of the two creeks.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications