On behalf of the residents, elected officials and employees of the City of Richmond Heights, I welcome you to our city. It is truly a great place to call “home”—and it is just as great a place to work, shop, dine and play. “Progress with Tradition” is the tag line attached to our city logo. We believe the phrase summarizes the very nature of our community and our overall approach to growth. Everything we do is aimed at maintaining the traditional character of our family neighborhoods, while simultaneously ensuring the physical viability and future fiscal standing of our city.
With our centennial anniversary on the horizon, I am confident that our tag line has never been more fitting than it is right now. The recently established not-for- profit Friends of Richmond Heights are working with residents, businesses and employees to prepare for this red-letter occasion in 2013.
Richmond Heights is part of a strong regional economy. Our city is the sense of numerous activities and developments that are generating an almost palpable sense of excitement and anticipation. These and other projects form the foundation of our local municipal economy, which helps enable us to provide our residents with excellent municipal services.
Our prime location—at the confluence of Interstates 64 and 170—has been further enhanced by the completion of the award-winning I-64/US-40 Highway. Getting around the region, and from one end of our community to the other, is now a far more enjoyable experience than ever before. The highway improvements—along with convenient access to nearby MetroLink stations at Galleria Parkway and I-170 Highway, and at Hanley and Eager Roads—provide our residents easy access to every major feature and attraction in St. Louis City and St. Louis County, including the St. Louis County government center in nearby Clayton, many great healthcare providers, several colleges and universities, and our own St. Louis Galleria—the region’s premier shopping venue. By September 2011, Nordstrom—among the cr¸me de la cr¸me of department stores—will be added to the Galleria’s line-up.
In the following pages of our community directory, please find more information about the “tradition” component to our tag line, such as:
• Our diverse population of nearly 10,000 people from all walks of life
• Our wide array of well-maintained, attractive homes in established neighborhoods
• Our award-winning Richmond Heights Community Center and Memorial Library, known as THE HEIGHTS which includes meeting rooms, an indoor aquatics center, a state-of-the-art fitness center, a comprehensive library and much, much more
• Desirable and high-quality city services including our internationally accredited police force, fire department and 24-hour emergency medical service
- The city also has a highly trained staff of plan reviewers and building inspectors
- A responsive public works department that manages street maintenance and upgrades, residential solid waste and single-stream recycling programs
- And our enviable fall leave-vacuuming program
• Quality public and private schools that provide our children with the best of educational opportunities and experiences available anywhere
If you have visited Richmond Heights before, we are delighted to have you back again. If you are visiting our city for the first time, we encourage you to enjoy your stay by visiting our many wonderful places to shop, dine and play!
Mayor James Beck