contentsSouth County MO Chamberads

Public Safety

The communities of South St. Louis County had little in the way of quality fire protection before 1930.

fire truck

With the forming of the Mehlville Improvement Association that same year, the group worked to create the much needed fire service. In 1934, Charles Feltz donated a 1925 Ford Model T equipped with a farm-style irrigation pump. By 1936, through major fundraising efforts, the Association was able to purchase a 1919 American LaFrance pumper from the St. Louis Fire Department. After that pumper was destroyed in an accident, the Association purchased a new pumper from the Central Fire Truck Company in 1940.

The all-volunteer fire department functioned until 1953 when firefighters proposed and organized a fire district. By the end of that year, voters approved the formation of the Mehlville Fire Protection District (MFPD) in order to accommodate a growing population.

Today, the MFPD (ISO 3 Rating) operates out of seven strategically placed stations in order to provide quick response to those residents and businesses located within the district boundaries. The firefighters and paramedics employed by the MFPD provide high-quality fire, rescue, emergency medical, fire prevention and inspection services to a coverage area of 52 square miles and a population of more than 110,000 people—a number that grows to 130,000-plus during the day.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications