contentsMadison NJ Chamberads

Historic Madison

Circa 7985 B.C. — The terminal moraine remains of the Wisconsin Glacier form the ridge on which Madison is now located.

Circa 7000 B.C. — Lenape Indians, known locally as the Lowantica, live in small villages along rivers and streams in this region.

1710 — Madison is settled as South Hanover.

1730 — Luke Miller House and Miller Forge at 105 Ridgedale Avenue are built.

1745 — Daniel Sayre house at 31 Ridgedale Avenue is built.

1747 — Presbyterian Church of South Hanover is formed. Meeting House built on the top of the hill in present day Hillside Cemetery in 1749.

1776 — During the Revolutionary War, the Continental Army establishes the Loantaka encampment within what is now Madison.

1777 — Revolutionary officers are housed in the Sayre home as well as homes in Bottle Hill. It is thought that General George Washington used the Miller’s Forge during that time.

1806 — The Village of Bottle Hill becomes part of the Chatham Township.

1812 — Bottle Hill Tavern erected

1834 — Wanting a more dignified name, residents of Bottle Hill change name to Madison in honor of the 4th U.S. president, James Madison.

1836 — William Gibbons builds Madison’s first mansion, today known as Mead Hall at Drew University.

1837 — Morris and Essex Railroad service through Madison begins.

1856 — Madison is known as “The Rose City” because of its blooming commercial rose market.

1881 — Madison Fire Department established

1889 — Madison breaks away from Chatham Township to form its own municipality. Bottle Hill is officially incorporated as Madison.

1890 — Madison Police Department is established

1899 — Daniel Willis James gives Madison a Free Public Library. This building now houses the Museum of Early Trades and Crafts.

1922 — Madison Historical Society is founded

1935 — The Hartley Dodge Memorial Building (Borough Hall) built by Mrs. Geraldine Rockefeller Dodge as a municipal building for the Borough, b ut before it was finished her son, Marcellus Hartley Dodge, Jr., died and the building became a memorial to him.

1964 — Dr. Martin Luther King speaks to an audience of 5,000 people at Drew University.

1966 — Archaeologist discover evidence of Lenape settlements in the Great Swamp dating back to 7000 B.C.

2014 — Madison, NJ celebrates 125 years of incorporation.

previous topic
next topic
Town Square Publications