Established in 1812, the Town of Pembroke is centrally located in Western New York, approximately mid-way between Buffalo and Rochester and a short distance from the county seat in Batavia. Another advantage of the location is the accessibility to all of the tourist spots in Western New York.
The population centers include the Village of Corfu and hamlets of Pembroke, East Pembroke, Indian Falls and North Pembroke, located along the Tonawanda and Murder Creeks, the main waterways flowing through the town.
Pembroke is a heavily traveled area with four major highways, Routes 5, 77, 33 and the New York State Thruway passing through its borders. Exit 48A opens the town on to Route 77 where there is now an industrial development area with plans to form a water district to serve it.
Pembroke has a rich historical background. Indian Falls is the birthplace of General Eli Parker, who wrote the terms of surrender for General Lee at Appomattox at the end of the Civil War. This breathtaking site includes a 30-foot water fall of cascading water.
Once mostly a rural farming area, Pembroke now includes many small businesses, churches and a progressive school district. The Town of Pembroke is a great place to live, raise a family or enjoy retirement and has great potential for industrial development and opportunities for all.
The Town of Alexander was part of the original Holland Land Purchase, set off from Batavia and organized as a town on June 8, 1812. The town was named after Alexander Rea who purchased the first piece of land in 1802. He later held the offices of State Senator and Assemblyman. The Village of Alexander was incorporated in April 1834.
Alexanders three-story cobblestone town hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It was built in 1837 as a private school.
The Western New York Gas and Steam Engine Association, Inc. have their headquarters on Gillette Rd. They hold a four-day rally each September on the first weekend after Labor Day with displays of antique tractors, threshing machines, a sawmill and small engines. The Alexander Volunteer Fire Department and Ladies Auxiliary hold a three-day carnival each July as a fund raiser.
Located on the eastern border of Genesee County, LeRoy is one of the most picturesque towns in upstate New York. First settled in 1797, the town is nestled along the beautiful Oatka Creek. The tree-lined streets are lined with stately Victorian homes which provide numerous bed and breakfast retreats in a quiet setting, only half an hour from Rochester and less than an hour from Buffalo. A variety of restaurants provide a wide range of family dining. LeRoy is conveniently located at the intersection of Routes 5 and 19, only six miles from exit 47 of the New York State Thruway and the 490 expressway into Rochester.
Known as the birthplace of Jell-O, LeRoy is also the home of the former Ingham University, the first chartered university for women in the United States. The history of LeRoy is preserved and exhibited at the LeRoy Historical Society, which also maintains the Jell-O Gallery, devoted to the history of Americas Most Famous Dessert.
Elba is just minutes north of Batavia located on Route 98. It is an active, rural community, surrounded by lush farm land and dairy farms. It is also the home of the Elba Onion Festival each summer where an Onion Queen is crowned at Veterans Memorial Park.
The Park offers recreation suitable to all ages, including baseball, tennis, basketball, rollerblading, picnic facilities, playground equipment and summer concerts under the gazebo, or just an evening stroll around its rolling eight acres.
Elba Central School offers a fine education to our young people. First constructed in 1938, it has undergone several expansions with the most recently one adding more classrooms, parking facilities and an 800-seat capacity theater.
Elba is home to six churches to choose from: Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Out Lady of Fatima R.C., Church of Brotherly Love and the New Covenant Chapel.
The Historical Society of Elba maintains and operates a museum (located on Maple Avenue Extension) which is open to the public on Sunday afternoons during the summer.
Elba which was formed from the town of Batavia on March 14, 1820 with an area of some 38,000 acres includes the hamlets of East Elba, Lanctons Corners, Newkirk (or 5 Corners) and Daws Corners. In 1842 the town of Oakfield was separated from Elba.
During the early part of the 20th century, developers undertook a reclamation project which drained parts of Tonawanda and Oak Orchard swamps to reveal the rich, black muck lands that has provided untold agricultural opportunities for generations of farmers here. During its heyday, we proudly clung to the title, "Onion Capital of the World."
Today, we are equally as proud to be the home of one of the nations top 100 agricultural producers in the country. This family-owned business operation farms over 7,500 acres.
Aaron White, Gideon Dunham, Christopher Kenyon and Erastus Wolcott first settled the area which is now the Town of Oakfield in 1801; descendants of some of those early settlers still remain here. Oakfield continues to this day as a small, family-based community. In 1842, the Town of Oakfield was set off from the western part of Elba. First named Plain Brook, the village name was later changed to Caryville in honor of Col. Alfred Cary, who helped found the Cary Collegiate Seminary in 1840.
Industry has also flourished in Oakfield. In 1825, gypsum rock was discovered and several plaster mills were built in the area. Later they were all purchased and united into one business, the United States Gypsum Co., which continues production to this day in Oakfield and across the nation.
Farming in this area is a major business operation, producing large quantities of fruits and vegetables. Agri-Link operates food-processing plants here in Oakfield and in several locations across the state and nation.
Oakfield has one of the finest school systems in the area. It also offers a diversity of religious services. Within the village are the Presbyterian Church, St. Michaels Episcopal Church, the newly expanded Methodist Church and St. Cecelias Roman Catholic Church. Oakfields community organizations include the Lions Club, VFW, Oakfield Volunteer Fire Department, and the newly established Oakfield Historical Society. The Haxton Memorial Library is located in the center of the village and is active in community projects.
Network, Inc. &
Copyright © 1998-2000
Community Profile Network, Inc.
This Site is a Cyberworks Media Group, Inc. Production