The Dayton area spreads over two Ohio counties - Montgomery and Greene - both formed when Ohio was admitted to the Union in 1803. At the time, Greene County's boundaries stretched from Clinton County on the South to Lake Erie. Its present boundaries were established in 1819.
The Dayton area's first settlers made their way up the Miami River arriving April 1, 1796 at a town site that had been laid out by Daniel C. Cooper. The settlers had bought their lands from John Cleve Summes, a Revolutionary War veteran to whom congress had awarded the land. In 1798, these settlers were notified that congress would not approve the original land sales. Instead, they were offered the land at $2.00 an acre, a price many could not afford. Daniel Cooper came to their aid, buying 3,000 acres from the government, then giving clear titles to the pioneer settlers.
The Wri ght Brothers made history in Dayton, designing the airplane they successfully flew at Kittyhawk and pushed the world into the era of aviation. Visitors can see replicas of famous Wright airplanes at the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, along with hundreds of other aircraft. There is no admission charge and parking is free.
The museum alone, is enough reason to visit the Dayton area. But there is so much more to experience.
Of course, all of the Communities surrounding Dayton have easy access to the metropolitan center's vast array of culture and entertainment. The Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra is at home in the city's Memorial Hall, along with its affiliates the Philharmonic Concert Band, and the 140-voice Philharmonic Chorus. The Dayton Opera is in its 38th season of presenting grand entertainment.
The 130-year-old Victorian Theatre is Dayton's centre for live theatre that draws more than 300,000 theatre lovers each season. The season mixes Broadway musicals and drama with regional productions and programs for the young at heart. Midsummer is filled with classic Hollywood movies.
Other cultural assets of the Dayton area include the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company, the Dayton Ballet, the Wright State University Artist Series, the Vanguard Concerts at Renaissance Hall, the University of Dayton Theater productions, and the University of Dayton Arts Series. Dayton also boasts several art galleries and museums.
All major hotel/motel chains are represented in the communities around Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Hundreds of great restaurants appeal to all tastes with everything from gourmet and ethnic delights to inexpensive family dining and fast foods.
Living in Dayton metropolitan area assures access to a vast array of Cultural attractions and amenities. These are the expected. The unexpected is found in the fanfare and festivals of small town life.
Life in the Dayton-Wright Patterson area can be filled with health-promoting activities that appeal to the whole family. Everything is available in area parks and recreation centers, from the full roster of organized sports to fishing, swimming, boating, hiking, ice skating, cross-country skiing and sledding.
There's a dream home in the communities of the Wright Patterson area to match every budget and lifestyle.
Dayton's diverse neighborhoods span the entire city, from Cooper Place and The Landing in downtown to the new housing developments springing to life in the northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest areas of the city. In the far northeast are such neighborhoods as Quail Hollow and Forest Ridge, with sparkling new mid-sized homes.
A slice of history is found in DeWeese-Ridgecrest, Dayton's only neighborhood that's completely surrounded by parks. DeWeese-Ridgecrest is a nature preserve on the banks of the Stillwater River, only five minutes from downtown Dayton. Both the DeWeese and Ridgecrest neighborhoods got started in the early 1920's. A broad range of homes were built by developers, attracting families from almost all economic levels. In 1948, neighborhood residents decided to annex to Dayton.
The market potential represented by the Wright Patterson Air Force Base and several automotive plants make Dayton metropolitan area a prime attraction for business and industry, especially in technology fields. The Air Force base is, for example, the foremost aeronautical research and development center in the Air Force. About 10,000 scientists and engineers are employed on the base. It is headquarters for a vast worldwide logistics system supporting the entire Air Force.
Quick access, expert medical care, whenever needed, is assured for every resident of the Dayton area, thanks to the presence of several excellent hospitals, both metropolitan Dayton and in several of the Suburban communities. In addition, hundreds of physicians and dental professionals have offices throughout the area.
Grandview Hospital, a 463-bed facility in Dayton, operates an urgent care center in Huber Heights where residents can go for non-life-threatening medical care, no appointment needed. Several physicians have offices at the center, as well. Among other services offered are x-ray, mammography, laboratory, cholesterol and diabetes screenings, corporate and industrial medicine, drug screening and several outreach health education programs.
Good Samaritan Medical Center, in Dayton, has 449 beds and provides such medical services as alcohol and/or drug abuse treatment, coronary care unit, inpatient surgical, intensive care unit, neonatal nursery, nuclear medicine, obstetrics, open heart surgery, organ transplant, and respiratory care.
Franciscan Medical Center is a 290-bed facility that offers the full-scope of medical care, including cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, obstetrics/gynecology, oncology, and speech pathology. Miami Valley Hospital, also in Dayton, has 418 bed and provides a similar range of medical services. Dayton's Children's Medical Center offers comprehensive pediatric care for all ages from newborns to teens. The 155-bed medical center serves a 20-county area that includes southwestern Ohio and parts of eastern Indiana and northern Kentucky. Its more than 175 physicians are trained in 30 areas of pediatric medicine.
The governments of the Wright Patterson Air Force Base area operate efficiently and effectively in service to the public. All hire professional city managers, assuring skilled management of the day to day operations of government in addition to the responsiveness of elected officials.
In 1913, Dayton was the first large city in the nation to adopt the council-manager form of government. The city council is composed of a mayor and a four city commissioners. The city manager is hired by the council.
The University of Dayton stands on a beautiful 110-acre Campus in a residential area south of the city's center. A Catholic institution, it is the largest independent university in Ohio and one of the largest catholic universities in the nation. University of Dayton students have a choice of more than 70 majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business Administration, School of Education, School of Engineering, School of Law, and Graduate School.
Fairborn began its history as two separate communities, Fairfield and Osborn. Fairfield was platted in 1816. When, in 1851 the railroad pushed near, the Village of Osborn was established and named for the railroad's superintendent. It was only a 20-minute walk from Fairfield, but not for long. In 1913, a devastating flood swamped Dayton. To correct this problem, the Huffman Dam was built on the Mad River. This put little Osborn in a flood plane. Osborns citizens were a determined lot and would not give up on their community. In 1922, they moved the town to higher land, a street-width away from Fairfield. For the next 28 years the two communities lived side by side in harmony. Then, in 1950, they voted to merge as one. They took as a name the first half of Fairfield and joined it with the last part of Osborn. Thus, the City of Fairborn was created.
Wright State University's E.J. Nutter Center, in Fairborn, is a sports and entertainment center serving the entire Dayton-Wright Patterson area. All 13,000 seats are regularly filled for college basketball games, Dayton Bombers hockey games, and concerts. The center features the top name stars of popular music, plus theatrical productions and ice shows.
Fairborn's downtown historic district also displays numerous restored 19th century homes and buildings. Lush parks dot the entire city giving many residents attractive views. New developments of fine homes include patio homes, condominiums and residential estates tucked away in densely wooded areas. Fairborn is heavily commercial, so every neighborhood is close to shopping. A complex of apartments, business offices, hotels, and restaurants Surrounds the Mall at Fairfield Commons, the area's premier shopping center.
Fairborn and Beavercreek are principal centers for business offices with the sparkling Wright Executive Center, in Fairborn, and Fairfield Commons, in Beavercreek, both bordered by I -675. Beavercreek is also the site of the Miami Valley Research Park, a university research facility owned by the nonprofit Miami Valley Research Foundation. The park covers 1,250 acres in both Beavercreek and neighboring Kettering. Still in its infancy, some 265 acres are presently developed. It is expected to be built out by 2025 with approximately 10,000,000 Square feet of space and employing about 50,000 people.
Fairborn residents enjoy, the fruits of the city's commitment to recreation, represented by 13 superbly equipped parks covering more than 383 acres. The largest is Community Park East, with 171.5 acres of recreation space. It features four tot lots, two basketball courts, a fitness area, three softball fields, three soccer fields, four tennis courts, hiking trails, two volleyball courts, an amphitheater, and six picnic shelters and numerous picnic tables with grills. The city's Parks and Recreation department coordinates adult softball leagues for men and women. It also organizes tennis leagues and sponsors the annual Rona Hills Park 5K square run/walk.
The annual Fairborn Family Block Party, held July 3 on Main Street, is a party for all of the city's families. In mid-August, the community celebrates its crafts, and annual Sweet Corn Festival featuring corn, crafts and entertainment. Community Park East's amphitheater is the surumertimc setting for the Free-on-Friday concerts. Rain or shine, audiences listen to everything from county and jazz to comedy and vaudeville acts.
The E.J. Nutter Center, on the campus of Wright State University in Fairborn, is a 13,000-seat sports and entertainment center. Crowds flock to the center for Wright State Raiders basketball games, Dayton Bombers hockey games, and for concerts by the top stars in popular music, plus ice shows and theatrical productions featuring the nation's finest performers.
A key attraction that draws area residents again and again is the United States Air Force Museum. About 300 aircraft and missiles are on display in the museum, from a replica of the Wright Brothers' "B" Flyer to Air Force planes like the B-2 Bomber to a collection of Presidential aircraft. More than 1,500,000 people from the world over visit the museum annually.
Fairborn resulted as a merger between the communities of Fairfield and Osborn. When the merger happened in 1950, the two cities merged their names as well, "Fair" from Fairfield and "born" from Osborn. At that time, both agreed on a council manager form of government that has led the combined community, to its prosperous present.
The name "Xenia" stems from the Greek word for hospitality. A pioneer named John Paul bought some 2,000 acres of land in 1803, acquiring it from a Virginia couple. Surveyor Joseph C. Vance laid out a town and in 1804 purchased the site from John Paul. Paul called the townspeople together to choose a name for the new community. A Rev. Robert Armstrong was among those gathered and suggested Xenia because he appreciated the hospitality he received in the community. Xenia was incorporated in 1817 and became a city in 1834. In 1918, the city adopted the commission - manager form of government which continues to the present.
From early June to late August, the epic outdoor drama of Blue Jacket is staged at Caesar's Creek amphitheater, near Xenia. The story tells of Blue Jacket, a white man adopted by Indians, who became War Chief of the Shawnee Indian Nation 200 years ago. A nighttime spectacular on a three-acre stage, the show features 50 actors, 18 horses, over 1,000 costumes and pyrotechnics, including muskets and cannons as well as flaming arrows and torches.
Xenia is noted for its historic district with some 30 homes among its 40 historic structures dating to 1850 and wonderfully preserved. The city appeals to families who want to he somewhat removed from the big city, yet near enough to enjoy its many assets. Xenia is out in the country, 10 miles from downtown Dayton. In addition to the fabulous homes of its historic district, the city has new areas of comfortable single family homes and a mix of apartments. On the perimeter are a few new subdivisions like Summer Brooke, offering crisp new homes in contemporary styles.
Xenia's Old Fashioned Days Sausage Festival packs a weekend in mid-September with fun for the whole family. There's a parade, food and craft booths, special activities for youngsters, live entertainment, and numerous other entertaining events. Adding to the event, merchants conduct sidewalk sales.
Greene Memorial Hospital (GMH), in Xenia, serves residents in the Greene County area. With 200 beds, the hospital offers a wide range of medical services. GMH provides such services as a medical/surgical unit, cancer care, the Women's Center, a mental health unit, a pain treatment center, a comprehensive occupational health program, cardiac rehabilitation, and sports medicine.
Xenia began its existence under the federal government, electing its first mayor in 1834. However, in 1918 it switched to the commission - manager form. That form has continued to this date. A seven-member commission is the legislative authority. It appoints the city manager, finance director, and a city solicitor.
What today is Huber Heights began as Wayne Township in 1810. The township remained largely agricultural until 1956 when Charles H. Huber created Ohio's first privately owned utility company and began building brick single family homes, calling the subdivision "Huber Heights." In the five decades since, Huber Homes has constructed more than 11,000 single family homes and in excess of 2,250 multi-family units. Voters decided, in 1983, to accept a city charter that gave them home rule and establish a council-manager form of government. By then, the Population had grown to well in excess of 28,000, Today, more than 40,000 people call Huber Heights home.
Huber Heights began as a Suburban bedroom development. Most of its first 11,000 homes were built of brick, giving the Community the opportunity to proclaim itself "America's largest community of brick homes." Today, the city's residential areas reflect a wide range of home styles and sizes. Evergreen Woods is a lovely new subdivision of fine homes built on Huber Heights' east side.
In the northern part of the area, Vandalia and Huber Heights are both strong and growing business centers. Huber Heights' Center Point 70 Commerce Park has 19 businesses that employ more than 1,600 persons. Among Huber Heights' largest businesses are MetoKote, producer of powder coatings; Bowser Morner, environmental testing; Spectra Precision, maker of laser-guided surveying equipment; ABF, a trucking company with a large distribution center in the city; Paxar Corporation, producer of tags and labels; Globe, manufacturer of electric motors; and Catlow, maker of pump nozzles for gasoline stations.
Huber Heights borders the east side of Taylorsville MetroPark, so residents have the same easy access to this excellent recreation facility. Huber Heights residents also enjoy 13 well-equipped municipal parks, encompassing some 130 acres. There are tennis courts, basketball courts, picnic shelters and sites, baseball and softball fields, and playgrounds for all around family fun. The annual Huber Heights Open Tennis Championship is a highlight of the summer. One hundred twenty -four- acre Thomas A. Cloud Park, a beautiful Montgomery County park, is also located within Huber Heights. Among its facilities are 10 balIfields and 12 tennis courts.
Huffman MetroPark is located between Huber Heights and Fairborn, southwest of Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Three hundred sixty-eight acres in size, it offers boating and fishing opportunities, picnic shelters and sites, and wintertime cross-county skiing.
Carriage Hill MetroPark, at the northeast corner of Huber Heights, is a unique place. Set on 900 acres, it offers a 1880s farm, scenic woodlands, meadows, a take and a pond, plus a visitor's center with exhibits highlighting lifestyles of a century ago, a children's interactive center, and a country store gift shop. The farm is an operating one with a variety of farm animals and park personnel who demonstration household chores and farming as they were performed 100 years ago.
"Soar to New Heights Festival" is Huber Heights premier annual event. Held over the Fourth of July holiday, it offers carnival rides and games, food and beverage booths, and a big fireworks display.
Huber Heights is the third largest city in Montgomery County. It was incorporated in 1981, adopting the council-manager form of government at that time. Also at that time, it developed its slogan: Come Grow With Us.
At the intersection of the National Road and Dixie Drive, Vandalia began to take shape with construction of a home and general store operated by Benjamin Wilhelm. The busy intersection soon attracted others and, in 1848, Vandalia was established. Until 1940, growth was slow despite the village's location. That year the population stood at 387. The post World War II housing boom and exodus from the cities impacted tiny Vandalia. Within 20 years the population increased to 6,342 people.
Vandalia is east of Huber Heights with the Taylorsville Reserve and the Great Miami River separating the two communities. Cassel Hills Municipal Golf Course abuts the western edge of the Taylorsville Reserve. These assets, and numerous community parks provide many residents with splendid views from porch or patio.
In the northern part of the area, Vandalia and Huber Heights are both strong and growing business centers. Huber Heights' Center Point 70 Commerce Park has 19 businesses that employ more than 1,600 persons. Among Huber Heights' largest businesses are MetoKote, producer of powder coatings; Bowser Morner, environmental testing; Spectra Precision, maker of laser-guided surveying equipment; ABF, a trucking company with a large distribution center in the city; Paxar Corporation, producer of tags and labels; Globe, manufacturer of electric motors; and Carlow, maker of pump nozzles for gasoline stations.
Vandalia has three office and industrial parks - Airport Corporate Center One, with lots up to 10 acres in size; Dayton Center Business Park, with lots to 46 acres; and Northwoods Business Park, with lots to 100 acres. An additional site is located on Ventor Drive. It has sites ranging from one to three acres. Firms with facilities in Vandalia include Delphi Interior and Lighting Systems and Delphi Chassis Systems, makers of auto airbags, consoles, and auto parts; Iams Company, producer of cat and dog food; Whirlpool Corporation Engineering Center, designers of cooking products; and Lion Apparel, makers of uniforms and firefighter gear.
The Taylorsville MetroPark lies along Vandalia's eastern border. The 1,293-acre park contains remnants of the Miami-Erie Canal and the once thriving community of Tadmor. Taylorsville offers fishing, canoeing, hiking trails, picnic shelters and sites, wintertime ice skating, and cross-country skiing. Vandalia boasts 10 municipal parks and a municipal swimming pool. Adjacent to the Taylorsville MetroPark is the city's challenging 18-hole Cassel Hills Golf Course. It features a swimming pool, a zero depth pool for youngsters, and a basketball and volleyball court. The course clubhouse has a restaurant. The Vandalia Sports Complex is located on 100 acres and has 11 ballfields (four lighted), two sand volleyball courts, soccer fields, basketball courts, picnic shelters, and concessions. Other parks offer lighted courts for tennis, volleyball, handball, horseshoes, and shuffleboard. There's also a lighted softball field.
Vandalia's big Fourth of July celebration and its annual Sister Cities Oktoberfest are major events that bring families together for fun and outdoor activities. The community is also the setting for the annual Ohio State and Grand American World Trapshooting Tournament. The Chamber of Commerce sponsored United States Air and Trade Show Parade, held as part of the annual Dayton International Air Show and Trade Exposition. The parade brings thousands of visitors to the community.
Vandalia's government is also the council - manager form, with a mayor and six council members. All seven are elected at large. The mayor is the ceremonial head of government, while the city manager is its chief executive and administrative officer.
The pioneers who built cabins along the Little Beaver and Big Beaver Creeks in the late 1790s are regarded as the first settlers in Beavercreek. When Greene County took shape in 1803, the settlement in Beavercreek Township was its first County seat. Interest in Suburban living in the early 1950s brought on rapid growth to the western half of Beavercreek Township, expanding the population to about 36,000. In 1979, this area became the City of Beavercreek. The presence of some 1,000 businesses and light industries provide employment to many residents. The eastern portion of the township remains unincorporated and has about 2,000 residents.
Beavercreek offers a rural look in its newer residential areas. Large lots are readily apparent. The Woods of Beavercreek is among the newest subdivisions in the community. It offers superb mid-size and executive style homes in a park-like setting, with walking trails, gazebos and park benches, ponds with fountains, and a central clubhouse featuring a kitchen, an exercise room, tennis courts, a swimming pool, and showers and steam room. Owners of the elegant executive style homes in the new Country Club of the North look out on the lush fairways and greens of a 18-hole Signature golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus. The development also has a 42,000 square-foot clubhouse. The renters of Mallard Landing apartments in Beavercreek overlook a small lake. Residents of Beavercreek enjoy the facilities and green space of 20 municipal parks with softball and baseball diamonds, tennis courts, soccer fields, a lake, basketball Courts, and play and picnic areas with shelters. The city's Parks, Recreation, and Culture department plans and conducts a comprehensive program of sports, activities, and events for residents of all ages. It includes everything from ballroom dancing and first aid to youth softball leagues and classes on how to start a business. Only minutes away ay is the Little Miami River, designated as a National Scenic River. Canoers on the river paddle though deep gorges, wooded hills, picturesque farms, and the Narrows, a county park with pleasant picnic spots and hiking trails.
Residents of Beavercreek enjoy the facilities and green space of 20 municipal parks with softball and baseball diamonds, tennis courts, soccer fields, a lake, basketball courts, and play and picnic areas with shelters. The city's Parks, Recreation, and Culture department plans and conducts a comprehensive program of sports, activities, and events for residents of all ages. It includes everything from ballroom dancing and first aid to youth softball leagues and classes on how to start a business. Only minutes away is the Little Miami River, designated as a National Scenic River. Canoers on the river paddle though deep gorges, wooded hills, picturesque farms, and the Narrows, a county park with pleasant picnic spots and hiking trails.
At least 20 great golf Courses are located within the Wright Patterson - Dayton area, enough to challenge and satisfy the most avid of golfers. For bikers, hikers, joggers, walkers, rollerbladers, and equestrians the 60-mile-long Little Miami Scenic Trail provides hours of joy throughout the year. Even wheelchairs are welcome on this paved, multipurpose pathway that extends from Milford, in Clermont County north to Yellow Springs, in Greene County. At Xenia, trail users can stop at the Xenia Station, a replica of a 19th century railroad building where they can enjoy refreshments, gather visitor information, and rent equipment.
In 1997, Wright Patterson Air Force Base hosted the first annual U.S. Air Force Marathon, attracting 1,750 runners. The event has become one of the 25 largest marathons in the nation. In 1998, more than 3,700 runners participated.
There's a great deal of fun for those living in the Dayton-Wright Patterson area.
Popcorn aficionados are propelled to Beavercreek's annual two-day Popcorn Festival in mid-September. The event is held in front of the Beavercreek Plaza and features over 200 booths offering a variety of popcorn food treats and other foods and beverages.
The GMH Medical Campus, set on 23 wooded acres in Beavercreek, is home to GMH UrgentCare and the Greene Center for Radiology. The campus contains physician offices, outpatient surgical services, and comprehensive rehabilitation care. GHM UrgentCare offers primary care for non-life-threatening illness and injury. The Greene Center for Radiology is a complete diagnostic facility with CT scan, C-arm magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, mammography, and x-ray.
Beavercreek, incorporated in 1979, covers 26 Square miles to the South of Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Like the other communities in the area, it operates under the council - manager form of government.
Englewood is, part of what is widely known as the Northmont Area, comprising the City of Englewood, three other communities, and the unincorporated areas of Randolph Township. The township was formed in 1804. A group of settlers who arrived from Pennsylvania in 1841 created a village they called Harrisburg. Later, in 1874, it was named Iamston for the first postmaster, Harvey Iams. Typography quickly caused a problem with the name. The "I" in Iamton, looked the same as "J" and the town was often referred to as Jamton. In 1898, a contest chose a new name - Englewood. The Village of Englewood was incorporated in 1914 and in 1971, it became a city.
The Englewood Reserve, with its large lake, forms the eastern boundary of Englewood. With room to grow and areas of woods, Englewood offers a wide range of home styles and settings. The city has areas of fine older and immaculately kept homes of every size, sprawling Subdivisions of new mid-size and executive styles, and pleasant apartment complexes.
The Five Rivers MetroPark System offers area residents 20 spacious places to play. Englewood MetroPark, set along the eastern border of Englewood, covers 1,900 acres and features the Stillwater river, lakes, and wetlands. There are 12 miles of scenic trails, and opportunities for fishing, horseback riding, bicycling, canoeing, and picnicking. In addition to the facilities of Englewood MetroPark, residents of Englewood have access to 11 Municipal parks in the Northmont area providing playground equipment, volleyball and tennis courts, swimming pools, soccer fields, baseball and softball fields, numerous picnic sites, and concessions.
Festivals highlight the calendars of all eight communities surrounding Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Englewood has its Englewood Fine Arts Festival featuring a parade, food booths, live entertainment, and the work of more than 125 artists and crafters.
Englewood was incorporated in 1914 and became a city in 1971. It, too, operates under the council - manager form of government which oversees a land area of a little over six square miles.
Trotwood is a progressive community on the move. With the merge between the City of Trotwood and Madison Township in 1996, Trotwood became the second largest city in Montgomery County and now boasts the fourth largest population (approx. 30,000).
The US 35 Northwest Connector, the Turner Road extension, less than two miles from I-70, within 5 miles of 1-75, and close to the Dayton International Airport gives Trotwood added convenience for the development of businesses that rely on transportation of merchandise or service.
The Trotwood Chamber of Commerce works diligently for the retention and expansion of business in the Trotwood Business Community, working with private and public sectors to promote Trotwood.
Through affiliation with other entities, the Trotwood Chamber of Commerce offers discount programs for cellular phones, insurance, workman's comp., money-saving opportunities for its members.
Kettering is named for the famed inventor of the automobile self-starter, Charles F. Kettering. However, it was Van Buren Township from 1841 when it was founded, to November of 1952 when it was incorporated as a village. Citizens named it to honor their most prominent citizen. On June 24, 1955, residents voted to make the village a city and approved adoption of a Home Rule Charter and a councilmanager form of government.
The 4,500-seat Kettering Fraze Pavilion, an outdoor theater, offers a wide-ranging summertime program of concerts and performances by nationally known professional talents. Among the artists who have appeared recently are Art Garfunkel, the Johnny Mack Super Band featuring the Four Freshmen, the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra.
Residential areas of Kettering have two distinct characters. In the city's eastern area, where the land has a slow, easy roll, the homes are small to mid-size, a mix of well-kept ranch, raised ranch, split-level, and two story models. To the west, the land becomes decidedly hilly and heavily wooded. Here are shining new executive style homes surrounded by lush landscaping and tall trees. Two country clubs are located on this same terrain, giving some residents splendid views over golf course fairways and greens, The Residenz, Walden, and Fox Hunt are typical of the elegant apartment and townhome living offered in Kettering.
Kettering is a chief industrial location in the area. General Motors is the largest employer with about 20,000 people in four facilities. Other major industrial employers in Kettering include Cox Publishing, NCR Corporation, and Ameritech, all with more than 1,000 workers.
Each of the eight communities around Wright Patterson Air Force Base has its own municipal park system. Kettering has earned the National Gold Metal Award for the best parks and recreation program in the nation. The Kettering Recreation Complex offers year around swimming and fitness facilities, ice skating throughout the fall and winter, and an outdoor water park in spring and summer. A senior center at the Recreation Complex provides a gathering place and programs for seniors. Other parks in the community provide fields and courts for play, well-equipped children's playgrounds, walking trails, water access, gardens, and picnic sites.
The Commons at Lincoln Park Center contains walking paths, a reflecting pool with fountains, loads of green space, and picnic sites. It also contains the fabulous Fraze Pavilion, the 4,500 -amphitheater that features professional music, dance, and theatrical programs throughout the summer.
In mid-July, Kettering holds its Louisiana Swamp Romp, with Cajun food treats, the Mojo Tent, and musical entertainment. The event is held at the Fraze Pavilion, the 4,500-seat outdoor theater where a continuing series of entertainment programs are offered throughout the summers months. Kettering's annual Art on the Commons at Lincoln Park features more than 100 area artists.
Community Profile Network,
Progressive Publishing, Inc.
Copyright © 1998 Community
Profile Network, Inc.
Community Profile Network is a trademark of Community Profile Network, Inc.
Town Square Publications and Builder Profile are trademarks of Progressive Publishing, Inc.
This Site is a Town Square Publications Production