Building on the Past
As Pittsburgh established itself as a bustling center in the late 1700s, more settlements were being established around the area. The eastern section near Pittsburgh remained fairly unpopulated at that time, and by the first half of the 1800s, what is now the municipality of Monroeville was merely comprised of a smalltown and widely dispersed farms. It was not until the great Northern Turnpike was completed in 1807 that Monroeville began to expand.
By 1810, the town continued to grow and even had an inn, two blacksmith shops and two stores. In 1849, the village, named after Joel Monroe, the town’s first postmaster, became a part of Patton Township.
Coal mining became an ever-expanding industry in the region in the late 19th century, leading to a boom in the township. By the 20th century, after the coal boom died down, Monroeville began to transform into a prosperous municipality, establishing itself as a thriving suburban community.
With the advent of the William Penn Highway in the 1940s, Monroeville’s business and economic sector flourished, and soon, additional major roadways, including the Pennsylvania Turnpike, were completed in and around the municipality.
Before long, major shopping districts and businesses, such as U.S. Steel, Westinghouse, Koppers Company and Bituminous Coal, began sprouting up all over Monroeville, leading to a growth in population and a demand for housing and refined highways.
The borough of Monroeville was incorporated on January 25, 1951. In the early to mid- 1960s, new roadways were established, affording easier access in and out of the area, with home construction increasing greatly. To this day, Monroeville continues to prosper, now boasting a population of nearly 30,000.