City of Haslet
Haslet is on Farm Road 156, 16 miles northwest of Fort Worth in extreme north central Tarrant County.
The area was settled around 1880, but it is likely that no distinct community was formed until 1883 when the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway were extended through the area. The first Post Office was opened there in 1887, and the community was named for the Michigan hometown of the railroad’s contractor. In 1896, the community had a school with 21 students and one teacher. Ten years later, the Haslet school had 25 students. During the 1920s, Haslet had three grocery stores, a hardware store, a dry goods store, and a cotton gin. The availability of war-related employment in Fort Worth probably contributed to the growth of Haslet’s population by the late 1940s.
By the 1990s, Haslet had become a commuter community for Fort Worth, with approximately 795 residents and some 12 businesses. Today, Haslet is a thriving city that continues to grow.
Alliance Crossing, a Hillwood development, provides the services and amenities you need every day. Located at Interstate 35W and Westport Parkway in the heart of the AllianceTexas development, Alliance Crossing offers several retail and restaurant options close to work and home.
105 Main Street, Haslet, TX 76052
Council Meetings, 1st and 3rd Monday @ 7pm
Police Department 817-884-1212
Fire Department 817-439-1048
City of Justin
Justin is at the intersection of Farm Roads 407 and 156, just north of Texas Motor Speedway and Fort Worth Alliance Airport in southwestern Denton County.
The area was originally settled by a band of French colonists who established the Icarian Colony in 1848. The community was abandoned a year later, and the area remained sparsely populated until the early 1880s. Justin began in 1883 with the sale of town lots owned by Chet Helm and a man named Riley. Within the year, a general store opened, and the community became a center for farmers. Four years later, the Santa Fe extended its line from Fort Worth to Purcell, Oklahoma, laying tracks near the growing community. In January 1887, the community petitioned postal authorities for a post office to be named Justin in honor of Justin Sherman, chief engineer of the Santa Fe line. By 1896, it had a population of 100, a general store, a grocery, a hotel and a cotton gin. The addition of grain elevators, frozen-food lockers and paved roads established Justin as a shipping point for agricultural products.
The town’s population increased from 476 in 1904 to 700 in 1941, and Justin was incorporated in 1947. In 1980, the population was reported as 920. By the end of 2004, the population grew to 2,300, and is expected to grow at a steady pace over the next 20 years. With easy access to Interstate Highway 35, residents have little difficulty getting to jobs in nearby Denton, Fort Worth and DFW.
415 North College, Justin, Texas 76247
Council Meetings, 2nd Monday @ 7pm
Police Department 940-648-2911
Fire Department 940-648-2561
Senior Center 817-491-1141
Town of Northlake
Motivated by the concern that adjacent cities had designs to absorb the community of ranches into their corporate limits, Northlake was incorporated on December 28, 1960. Dan and Margaret Ashmore, who served as the first mayor and town secretary, enlisted the support of at least 200 people and prepared the paperwork required for incorporation. The next 40 years saw very little growth for the community. However, the purpose of incorporation was not to grow but rather to protect the rural character that they had known prior to incorporation. The population of the town was recorded as 200 people in the 1970 census. Northlake increased its population to 1,200 according to the 2000 census. For the first 35 years, the town functioned without a permanent meeting place. During the 1980s, official town business was conducted out of the homes of residents. In 1999, the Town of Northlake constructed its first Town Hall, and now conducts town business there. Northlake currently includes 14-square miles of incorporated town.
Northlake is committed to ensuring the highest quality environment for residents, businesses and visitors. The northern portion of the town has a five-acre minimum for relaxed country home sites. Because it’s adjacent to Texas Motor Speedway, the southern portion of the town is the high-speed, fast-paced living you would expect.
1301 FM 407, Justin, TX 76247
Council Meetings 2nd Thursday @ 5:30 pm
Police Department 940-648-9494
Fire Department 817-491-2301
City of Roanoke
The history of Roanoke goes back to 1847 when a small group of twenty settlers and their families settled near Denton Creek. The early community was designated Garden Valley. Frequent floods from Denton Creek caused the settlers to move closer to the present location of Roanoke. In 1881, when railway surveyors came through the area, they named the town they founded “Rawranoke” for their county in Virginia.
Laid out in one-half acre tracts, the early settlement had stores and a blacksmith shop. Roanoke was a cattle center in its early days. The community had robust cattlemen, two saloons, a horse trough and a water tank, which was located in the center of what is now Oak Street. There were two hotels in the early days of Roanoke, the “Pacific” and the “Eureka.”
It was during the Great Depression that Roanoke was incorporated as a town, and Mr. H. W. Jenkins was elected as the town’s first mayor. Gus Wiggs was the first postmaster (appointed in 1882), and President McKinley appointed William Cowan post-master in 1889. In 1902, Mr. Cowan inaugurated the first Rural Route for Roanoke.
In 1948, Roanoke purchased its first fire truck, a 1928 LaFrance. In 2000, the City completed a mini-museum in honor of all the volunteer firemen, featuring the old LaFrance fire truck.
Roanoke’s population has more than doubled in the past five years, due in part to Roanoke’s central location and close proximity to a number of area amenities. Roanoke has parks that offer many sporting venues including a public waterpark. A state-of-the-art fitness and recreational center is currently being built — with a completion date of fall 2005.
The City of Roanoke has been one of the top 10 fastest growing communities in the Metroplex for the past three years. The city’s catch phrase — “The Rising Star of the Metroplex” — fits it well.
Roanoke has adopted an economic development investment policy that awards significant grants to companies that retain a certain amount of inventory in their facilities. This new incentive, coupled with an extremely low tax rate, makes Roanoke a wonderful business destination.
Although Roanoke is situated in the center of the “Golden Triangle,” it maintains a small-town atmosphere while providing access to metropolitan amenities. Many of Roanoke’s original families are still represented in the city.
108 South Oak Street, Roanoke TX 76262
Council Meetings 2nd and 4th Tuesday @ 7pm
Police Department 817-490-6052
Fire Department 817-491-2301
Public Works 817-491-6099
Senior Center 817-491-6060
Parks and Recreation 817-491-6060
Town of Trophy Club
The roots of the Town of Trophy Club date back to 1847 when Charles and Matilda Medlin, along with 20 families from Missouri, settled along Denton Creek. Floods drove them to higher ground to the area around what is now the Town of Trophy Club. Much of the early history of the area is reflected in the inscriptions on the tombstones in Medlin Cemetery. The cemetery was designated a Texas historical landmark in 1977. As legend has it, the site was chosen for the cemetery when Mittie Ann Medlin died on April 15, 1850 at the age of 21 and wanted to be buried on the hill with the beautiful view.
Before incorporation as a Town in 1985, the Town of Trophy Club approached the Council of Westlake regarding the possibility of constructing a housing development centered around a private country club. Ben Hogan designed a golf course nestled in the rolling and picturesque countryside. Trophy Club Country Club offers not only 18 holes but it is also home to another 18 holes of equally challenging course designed by Arthur Hills. The Country Club also offers a superior tennis program.
The Town offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational and sporting activities in and around Trophy Club for every member of your family. You have a choice of individual and family activities to choose from on a year ‘round basis. Trophy Club operates 908 acres of dedicated land which includes the following parks: Community Swimming Pool; Beck Park; Harmony Park; Independence Park; Marshall Creek Park.
The Town offers convenient shopping and dining areas at two of the main entrances. Currently, there are two elementary schools, one middle school and a site to build a future high school.
The residents of the Town recognize Trophy Club as “A Great Place to Call Home.”
Trophy Club Information
100 Municipal Drive, Trophy Club, TX 76262
Council Meetings 1st and 3rd Monday @ 7:00pm
Police Department 682-831-4650
Fire Department 682-831-4630
Parks and Recreation 682-831-4603
Town of Westlake
The town of Westlake was founded by a group of pioneers that joined together to preserve a place of natural beauty and a vanishing way of life in the Cross Timbers Region. Originally settled in 1847, Westlake was incorporated as a town in 1956. In 1992, the town adopted a comprehensive plan that provides for future office development and limits retail and residential use to be compatible with the preservation of the rural atmosphere. Westlake is home to Solana, an environmentally sensitive commercial development designed by world-renowned architect Ricardo Legoretto. The Development has preserved hundreds of acres of native trees and wildflowers, while housing such major companies as Fidelity Investments, First American Financial, Marriott and DaimlerChrysler.
In the mid 1970’s, the Circle T Ranch was purchased by oil millionaire Nelson Bunker Hunt. The ranch became known for its glamorous parties attended by celebrities from all over the world.
In 1993, Ross Perot Jr.’s development company (Hillwood) purchased Westlake’s 2,000-acre Circle T Ranch. Part of the development will include the future The Shops at Circle T Ranch. Developed by Hillwood and General Growth Properties, The Shops at Circle T Ranch will become one of the most exciting, vibrant and entertaining shopping venues in Texas. The plans for developing this land will follow Westlake’s philosophy where commercial, retail and residential uses complement one another, allowing business and nature to thrive side by side.
In 2003, the town raised bond funds to build the Westlake Academy, an open environment charter school owned and operated by the town. All residents are eligible to enroll in the rigorous international baccalaureate curriculum.
Approximately 900 residents occupy the Town of Westlake in several subdivision communities, all of which share a commitment to excellence but possess unique character
2650 J. T. Ottinger Road, Westlake, TX 76262
Council Meetings, 2nd and 4th Monday @ 7:00pm
Police Department 817-743-4522
Fire Department 817-490-5713
Parks and Recreation 817-490-5735