The South Milwaukee Public Library was founded in 1899. The Library has over 129,000 books, magazines, books on tape, videotapes, compact discs, records, paperbacks, pamphlets, newspapers and patterns. The Library has three meeting rooms for use by non-profit organizations. There are also three study rooms for individuals to use. Other services available are black and white copier, a color copier, two Internet stations, and interlibrary loan. The Library is able to get material from other libraries within the country in a matter of days. The Library is a member of the Milwaukee County Federated Library System. As a member, the Federated System provides the South Milwaukee Library with an automated circulation and card catalog system. Residents have access to the librarys catalog from home either by dial up or through the Internet.
The School District of South Milwaukee has a solid reputation throughout the area as a district committed to quality education for all students. The district serves a total of 3,576 students and employs 224 teachers and support service personnel. There are four elementary schools that place a strong emphasis on basic skills. The middle school serves grades six through eight. A comprehensive program gives students a variety of academic opportunities in basic subjects as well as exploratory courses to help them make better decisions when selecting a study program for senior high school. The Senior High School has over 1,200 students. The Senior High School has received national recognition under the Department of Educations Excellence in Education Program and was rated as one of Americas 140 best high schools by Redbook magazine.
South Milwaukee has four Parochial schools. They are Holy Cross, St. Adalbert, St. Sylvester and Zion Lutheran School.
Traditional values of South Milwaukee residents are well represented in the citys religious diversity. South Milwaukees oldest church, the First Congregational United Church of Christ, was built in 1854 and is still located on its original site at 1111 North Chicago Avenue. Other churches which are an important part of the community include four Roman Catholic, two Lutheran, an Armenian Apostolic, Southern Baptist, Church of God, Church of Nazarene, Episcopal, Methodist, Polish National Catholic, a United Church of Christ and non-denominational.
The Chester W. Grobschmidt Senior Center is a multipurpose community center serving South Milwaukee s older adults. It is operated by the city and governed by a board of directors. Membership is open to all persons aged 55 years and older. Its purpose is to provide activities that will stimulate the personal growth and enrichment of older adults. The Senior Center offers health counseling, blood pressure screening, assistance with filling out tax returns, programs of interest to seniors, special events and tours. The Senior Center houses one of 29 Milwaukee County meal sites.
The South Milwaukee Health Department offers several programs to ensure the optimal health of residents. Among the programs are a comprehensive school health program, immunization clinics for children and adults, an annual influenza clinic, a blood pressure and cholesterol clinic, and an over 60 clinic that provides physical assessments and counseling for persons over 60.
St. Lukes South Shore hospital is a community based hospital located in Cudahy. The hospital offers a complete range of primary, acute-care programs. A 24- hour emergency department has a staff of emergency medical specialists. The hospital offers a Center for Digestive Disorders, complete behavioral health services, an ambulatory surgery facility, oncology, radiology, laproscopic and laser surgery, pulmonary medicine, orthopedics, cardiac care, neurology and physical therapy.
The Covenant Medical Group-Southeastern has been providing comprehensive primary health care to South Milwaukee since 1929. Through their affiliation with other clinics they provide a wide range of health care to South Milwaukee residents
Grant Park, located along the shores of Lake Michigan, contains 381 acres and is the second largest park in the Countys park system. Included in the park are picnic areas, beaches and natural areas. In 1920 the County opened the first County golf course, the Grant Park Golf Course. The Grant Park Clubhouse, built in 1892 as a family residence by Horace Fowle, was purchased by the County in 1919. The "Seven Bridges Trail", which is a system of stone walkways, stairs and bridges, was built in 1930 and allows walking access to the beautiful ravines of the Park. Grant Park also includes the Wil-O-Way Special Recreation Center, a boat launch at the mouth of the Oak Creek, softball and soccer fields, play areas, tennis courts, and a segment of the Countys Oak Leaf Trail.
The Chester W. Grobschmidt Pool was opened in 1964 for outdoor swimming in the summer. The pool is named after former Mayor Chester Grobschmidt who served for 28 years as South Milwaukees Mayor.
The South Milwaukee School District Recreation Department offers a variety of programs that include baseball, football, soccer, basketball, softball, kickball, volleyball, wrestling, golf, swimming, tennis, tumbling, gymnastics, cheerleading, tap and ballet dance, exercise and aerobics. The program covers instruction, athletics, and league play for all ages. The South Milwaukee Municipal Band is part of the Recreation Department. The band, now in its 64th year, performs a series of outdoor summer concerts throughout the city and parades.
Little League Baseball for boys and girls is a well established program. Children and their parents can enjoy the sport during spring and summer at the Little League Park.
The South Milwaukee Fire Department was established in 1893. The present building, completed in 1981, is located at 929 Marshall Court. The South Shore Paramedic Program, which serves South Milwaukee, Cudahy, St.Francis and Oak Creek, is headquartered in South Milwaukee. The staff includes one fire chief, three captains, three lieutenants, six firefighters/EMT-D, 15 firefighter/paramedics, a fire inspector and 15 paid, on-call firefighters. The equipment includes a ladder truck and three trucks, one of which is a mini-pumper. The department also has a paramedic unit, a back-up paramedic unit and a rescue boat. The department uses an enhanced "911" system.
The South Milwaukee Police Department, established in 1910, is located in the city hall complex. The department includes 34 officers, 10 full and part time civilians, clerical and dispatch employees, plus 15 auxiliary officers.
The communication center, which is staffed 24 hours a days receives all requests for police assistance and manages the "911" services for police, fire and ambulance calls. Utilizing four shifts, the operations division provides uniformed officers 24 hours a day. They are supported by detectives and investigators from the investigation unit, as well as school liaison officers who are assigned to the middle and high school. The department offers many different community programs including D.A.R.E instruction at all public and private schools.
South Milwaukees's Home Page
Town Square Publications's Home Page
Community Profile Network, Inc. &
Progressive Publishing, Inc.
Copyright © 1998-1999 Community Profile Network,
Community Profile Network is a trademark of Community Profile Network, Inc.
Town Square Publications and Builder Profile are trademarks of Progressive Publishing, Inc.
This Site is a Town Square Publications Production