Todays St. Francis Association of Commerce was
originally chartered as the St. Francis Business Mens Association
in 1950. Our name changed in 1961 but our mission and purpose have remained
the same: "To elevate the best interests of the citizens and promote
commerce of the City of St. Francis, County of Milwaukee, State of Wisconsin
and to exercise any and all powers to obtain and further our objectives
and purpose." Our current membership of more than 150 members includes
business both large and small, and individual citizens devoted to the
advancement of our business community.
The St. Francis area is home to a wide variety of clubs , civic organizations and associated activities: Association of Commerce, Lions Club, Historical Society, Jaycees, Fine Arts Council, PLAV, VFW, American Legion, Catholic War Veterans, Kiwanis, and the Knights of Columbus.
St. Francis is only five minutes away from downtown Milwaukee or Mitchell International Airport. This premier location on the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline is a short drive from the amenities of a big city, yet you will feel worlds apart.
The city recently became the home for Harnischfeger Industries Corporate Headquarters and Milwaukee Bucks Training Facility and Administrative Offices; it has been the longtime home of EZ Paintr and Archbishop Cousins Center. The people of St. Francis are proud and friendly, placing stability and friendliness on family values, civic pride and enhancement in the neighborhoods. Our location attracts many people to live and businesses to locate here. Its world-class transportation links include railway services and proximity to major interstates, linking it to Milwaukee and Chicago.
The early inhabitors of the city were Native Americans who called this land "NOJOSHING", meaning "land which goes into water." St. Francis first European settlers came to create a largely farming community known as Town of Lake. In 1833 nuns established St. Francis of Assisi convent under the direction of Bishop Henni. In 1856, Bishop Henni also founded The St. Francis Seminary that would serve the entire Milwaukee area. With these developments, the area soon became known as St. Francis.
After several attempts to incorporate as a city, the petition for incorporation and vote were successful in July 1951. As St. Francis plans for the future, the heritage of our past is preserved and treasured. St. Francis has experienced exceptional growth and development, and is recognized today as being a leader in promoting extensive and well-conceived light industrial growth and commercial development while maintaining its pretty residential areas and hometown charm.
St. Francis continues to "redevelop" and reshape itself to meet the demands of the year 2000 and beyond.
St. Francis is governed by a Mayor and Common Council in conjunction with a City Administrator. They have worked with and been supportive of potential new developments with numerous business incentives. For more information call the City Administrator at (414) 481-2300.
Network, Inc. &
Copyright © 1998-1999
Community Profile Network, Inc.
This Site is a Cyberworks Studios, Inc.Production